In spite of a countywide burn ban, Maumelle residents still were able to celebrate July Fourth with an extravagant nighttime display of fireworks. Although youngsters were unable to use fireworks themselves — they couldn’t have missed the Fourth of July show, which, through the hard work, planning and effort of Maumelle firefighters, police officers and parks and public works employees, was a safe celebration. By watering down fields and suspected landing zones of the remnants of the gala event, the officials prevented a spark from the massive show creating a fire. Maumelle Fire and Rescue personnel reported responding to just one fire call all day. It was caused by a firecracker, but a neighbor had the flames doused with a garden hose before fire crews could get there. (Photo by Travis Sharp)