A 35-year-old North Little Rock man died on Oct. 4 at St. Vincent North Medical Center from a medical emergency following his arrest by Sherwood police.

According to a police report compiled by Detective Cliff Manek and an official statement issued by the city police department, Don Jackson, 1105 Franklin St., died following his arrest from a traffic stop on Highway 67/167 in Sherwood.

"Jackson, a passenger in the vehicle, was arrested for possession of a controlled substance, tampering with physical evidence, and resisting arrest," said Lt. Jamie Michaels, public information officer for the Sherwood Police Department. "After being booked in on his charges, Mr. Jackson suffered from a medical emergency and was transported to St. Vincent’s North Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead."

Michaels said his body was turned over to the Pulaski County Coroner’s Office and transported to the State Crime Lab for an autopsy. An investigation into the cause of death is ongoing.

According to Manek’s report, he observed a gold-colored Ford Taurus pull out of the McDonalds parking lot on Warden Road into the far lane rather than the inside one.

"I followed the vehicle southbound as it traveled on Warden Road and observed it to be traveling faster than the posted limit," Manek said. "I then confirmed its speed by using my radar unit at 55 mph in a 40 mph zone."

Manek initiated a traffic stop on Highway 67/167 southbound near Lantrip Road.

"I made contact with the occupants of the vehicle on the passenger side for safety reasons and advised them of who I was and why I had stopped them," Manek said. "After making contact with the passenger I observed what I believed to be an illegal substance on his person and upon asking him to exit the vehicle became engaged in a brief struggle with the subject who was ultimately arrested along with the driver of the vehicle."

The driver of the vehicle, Shemekia Jackson, 35, was arrested on charges of speeding, improper turn and obstruction of governmental operations.

The vehicle was towed from the scene by J. Hook wrecker service and both subjects were transported to the city police department without incident where they were later transferred to booking personnel.

Manek said several pieces of property were seized at the crime scene, including a white powdery substance, a shirt and shorts Jackson was wearing which appeared to have white powder on the front, $200 Black Iphone, $50 LG cell phone, $50 Kyocera cell phone, and $200 Iphone.