The Sherwood Fire Department responded to a fire call at 4:16 a.m. on Sept. 24 at 9109 Peach Tree St. On arrival, smoke and flames were coming from the roof of the house. All occupants had left the building. The resident was awakened by a pet dog.

The fire was knocked down in 10 minutes and fire damage was confined to the attic, but there was some water damage to the living room and kitchen area. The fire was determined to be electrical in origin.

The fire department responded with four engines and one truck. There were no injuries to the resident or to firefighters. Crews were on the scene for about three hours. The Red Cross was called to assist the occupants or the house. And 1-800-Board-up secured the property.

The Sherwood Fire Department recommends every residence have a working smoke detector. If you do not have one, you can call the Fire Department at 835-0342 and the department will install one for free.