The Greens at North Hills continues to make improvements as the Sherwood-owned course keep working to attract new golf enthusiasts.
Last month, a new welcoming sign was being constructed in the course’s parking lot. The Greens on July 4 also held a fund-raising golf scramble and ball drop event where $4,000 was collected by those participating. The Greens also has secured another donor willing to provide $5,000 more to rebuild the course’s driving range. Tom Hamm won a free year of golf with a cart for having the only ball in the hole during the ball drop.
The Independence Day event also had a visit to the golf course from a helicopter courtesy of the Vassar family of Sherwood. The event was organized by The Greens Manager Mandel Brockinton and his staff.
The Greens and the former North Hills Country Club and golf course have a long-standing history in Sherwood dating back nearly 100 years ago.
The property’s original development was as "The Sylvan Hills Country Club" using a three-year obligation at seven percent with Real Estate Bonds dated Jan. 1, 1927, secured though the Sylvan Hills Improvement Corp. The Advertisement for Investment in this development described the property as follows: "The club property consists of a 120-acre plot of ground and a magnificent field stone clubhouse and swimming pool, four other buildings, and an 18-hole golf course which has been pronounced one of the finest in the state."
It was Justin Matthews, a land developer and homebuilder, who understood an attraction would benefit home development in the North Little Rock area. The Justin Matthews Company advertisement as a builder of fine homes stated that "in five years nearly seven million dollars have been put into homes, schools, country club and the installation of city conveniences" in Park Hill and Sylvan Hills.
Having already platted the area and constructed the clubhouse, golf course and tennis courts, much of the design work had already been completed. It is believed that Mattews was the designer of the golf course since it was his plat map that illustrates both the golf course and residential arrangement.
Justin and Agnes Matthews transferred ownership of the Sylvan Hills property, consisting of land and a clubhouse, to the Sylvan Hills Improvement Corp. for $132,500.This deed was a land transfer transaction and contained no mention of a land restriction for a golf course. The deed survey data contained three exceptions, the commercial lot 224, the Park Hill Addition Block 320 and the north commercial/residential land block. The deed transactions consisted of a cash-in-hand down payment of $70,500, a note of $19,800 to be paid at the rate of $150 each month for 11 years beginning Jan. 1, 1928, and ending Jan. 1, 1938. A second note of $12,200 to be paid on or before Jan. 1, 1930, and three notes of $10,000 each payable on or before Jan. 1, 1933.
Sylvan Hills Country Club Golf Course became the second oldest golf course in the greater Little Rock area. The oldest golf course is still the Country Club of Little Rock, which was founded in 1902. Other historic golf courses include the Camp Robinson Golf Course (1940) and the Fort Roots Golf Course, known as Emerald Park today which was built in the 1940s. All other golf courses in the area were built after 1960, with the majority of them constructed in the 1990s.